You're heating some food when your Kenmore microwave suddenly stops working. Could it be because of a blown fuse? But where is the fuse located so you can check it? We've done some web research to help you, and here's the answer.
The fuse is usually located under the plastic grill of your Kenmore microwave. You can locate it at the top right flank of your microwave. Two screws hold the plastic grill in place.
Take out the screws and remove the plastic microwave grill. You'll find a metal grill cover under it. Remove the metal cover, and you'll find the fuse of your Kenmore microwave.
Now that you the fuse placement in a Kenmore microwave, we'll discuss fuses and tackle several FAQs about microwaves. We've also included five Kenmore microwave parts that can help you when you need a particular replacement.
All About Fuses
Microwaves offer people convenience when reheating or cooking food. It's essential to know where the fuse is in your device in case of problems. You can check your owner's manual for details on fuses and other parts.
The fuse can usually be found on the right top side of a Kenmore microwave, directly under the plastic grill. You only need to unscrew it, remove it, and find the metal grill cover. Remove the screws of the metal cover, and you'll be able to access the fuse.
So what exactly is a fuse, and how important is it in a microwave? Let's find out.
What Is A Fuse And Its Function?
Fuses function like mini circuit breakers in appliances. Besides protecting the device, they act as security measures to avert any dangers to people. Fuses have a bit of wire strip that sends electricity, which dissolves when it notices an overcurrent.
Microwaves typically contain several kinds of fuses for secure function. The primary or line fuse cuts the electricity flow if too much current passes through it, while the thermostat fuse stops electrical flow if the fuse gets too hot.
The fuse is a conductor with a wire portion that quickly dissolves and breaks the connection with the circuit if there's a current overflow. The fuse operates as a wiring and apparatus protector if something goes awry.
Why Is A Thermostat Fuse Necessary For A Microwave?
The thermostat fuse's job is to safeguard microwaves from overheating. The microwave will stop functioning when overheating activates the thermal fuse. Don't ever disregard a microwave's fuse, because there's a big chance that you can set your microwave on fire.
How Do You Tell If A Fuse Is Blown?
You must look closely to check if your microwave's fuse has blown. Take the fuse out of the holder cap and examine the fuse wire. You should replace the fuse if you find a metallic or dark smudge inside the glass or a fissure in the wire.
What Happens If The Microwave Fuse Is Blown?
Microwave fuses blow for several reasons. The high-voltage capacitor inside may have shorted out, a screw may be loose, or the door switch could be defective.
When a fuse blows, your microwave usually won't heat food. It's likely that the light bulb or your entire microwave will not turn on.
How Do I Change The Fuse In My Microwave?
Changing a blown or broken microwave fuse is easy, but you must still exercise precaution. Here are the eight steps in changing your microwave fuse.
- Ensure that the microwave is unplugged from the power source.
- Unscrew the vent grille or access the fuse without uninstalling the microwave (it depends on the placement, make, and unit).
- Unclip and remove the microwave fuse.
- Use a multimeter to test for the continuity of the microwave fuse.
- After verifying that the fuse is the cause of a non-working microwave, you need to replace it.
- Buy a replacement fuse that's similar to the damaged fuse you extracted.
- Reassemble, replug, and turn on the microwave's power.
- Check if the new fuse works by putting in a cup of water and microwaving it for thirty seconds.
If you continue to experience a blown fuse, you may have installed the wrong one or need to replace a different microwave part. We recommend you call a professional technician to further check and fix your microwave.
FAQs About Kenmore Microwaves
Below are several frequently asked questions people have regarding Kenmore microwaves.
Who Makes Kenmore Microwaves?
It may surprise you, but Sears Kenmore doesn't make its own devices. Listed below are several of Kenmore's appliance manufacturers.
Some Kenmore appliances like microwaves, vent hoods, and air conditioners branded as Sears Kenmore are likely produced by factories other than the leading labels enumerated above.
What Would Cause A Kenmore Microwave To Stop Functioning?
Besides a damaged fuse, here are other reasons your Kenmore microwave could stop functioning.
- Damaged Thermoprotector: Faulty wiring can cause a fire.
- Defective Diode: The microwave won't be able to heat food.
- Faulty Door Switch: This prevents the microwave from heating.
- Malfunctioning High Voltage Transformer: This can cause smoke and a burning smell.
- Worn Out High Voltage Capacitor: The microwave won't heat.
- Worn Out Magnetron: The microwave won't function at all.
You should contact a certified electrician when your microwave has any of these problems.
What Are Some Typical Kenmore Microwave Problems?
Microwave can experience several problems every once in a while. Here are some of them:
- Isn't heating food
- The light bulb isn't operating
- Shuts off after a few seconds
- The turntable isn't rotating
- Buttons aren't functioning
- The display isn't operating
- The exhaust fan isn't functioning
- Is noisy or rackety
- Making a burning odor
- Won't switch off
Your Kenmore microwave oven will encounter these problems due to faulty, tripped, malfunctioning, and blown parts. You can fix some of these problems, but some require the help of a knowledgeable technician.
How Long Will My Microwave Last?
The average length of time a microwave can be expected to function is around five to 10 years with regular use. This time period could shorten with overuse and insufficient upkeep.
A large household could also replace the appliance for at least four to five years. Large families tend to depend on microwaves for heating leftovers, snacks, and defrosting meals.
Placing non-microwavable items inside can also shorten the lifespan of a microwave and also cause harm or create a fire hazard.
When Should A Microwave Be Replaced?
Below are several significant signs that tell you when to replace your microwave oven.
- Your microwave starts emitting smoke, burning odors, and sparks.
- The food you microwave isn't cooking appropriately.
- Your microwave makes terrible sounds as it heats or cooks food.
- The microwave door doesn't close correctly.
- The microwave's keypad isn't functioning.
- It's more than ten years old.
So when you notice one or more of those signs, it may be time to think of replacing your old microwave with a new one.
5 Kenmore Microwave Replacement Parts
We've listed some replacement parts that you may need when experiencing issues with your microwave.
OUZIFISH 20-Amp Fuse
The OUZIFISH 20-amp fuse is Amazon's Choice for microwave fuse. This fuse can effectively protect the circuit from short circuits, overload, and overcurrent.
Click here to see this ceramic fuse on Amazon.
- High-quality ceramic material
- Sand-filled with nickel plated end caps
- Rated current of 20 Amp and a rated voltage of 250 V
Belleone Light Bulb
The Belleone light bulb is Amazon's Choice for microwave light bulbs. It guarantees long-lasting and outstanding performance.
Click here to see this microwave light bulb on Amazon.
- Easy to install
- Dimmable for high and low light settings
- Made of durable and high-quality material
Calpalmy Universal Microwave Glass Plate Replacement
The Calpalmy microwave glass plate is the #1 best seller in microwave replacement turntables. It's made of top-grade, heat-resistant glass that will last a long time.
Click here to see this glass plate on Amazon.
- Easy installation
- Perfect microwave glass plate replacement
- Guaranteed to fit
IMSurQltyPrise Microwave Glass Turntable Plate Roller Support Wheel Ring
The IMSurQltyPrise wheel ring is Amazon's Choice for Kenmore microwave parts. It's flame retardant and has good impact resistance.
Click here to see this support wheel ring on Amazon.
- Made from PPS plastic material
- High-temperature and corrosion resistant
- Durable and lightweight
Bagean Microwave Filter
The Bagean microwave filter is the #1 Best Seller in Range Hood Filters. This microwave vent filter is washable and reusable.
Click here to see this filter replacement on Amazon.
- It can be used in both vented and non-vented microwaves
- Collects and keeps grease out of the microwave venting system
- Prevents odors from recirculating
Now that it's clear where the Kenmore microwave fuse is and how you can change a blown fuse, you can try doing it yourself. Just remember to be extra careful and ask for a professional's help when you're feeling unsure or unconfident.
To maximize your microwave's lifecycle, practice good maintenance and only put microwavable objects in it. Be sure to check for specific signs to know if there's something wrong with your microwave and when it's time to replace it.
For other kitchen dilemma answers and additional knowledge, you can check out these posts:
How To Attach Drain Hose To Dishwasher [In 11 Easy Steps!]
What’s The Best Polyurethane For Countertops?
Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Making Ice But Water Works—What To Do?