Vinyl is one of the best and most popular types of flooring. Not only is it incredible to look at, but it's also durable and easy to install. If you have vinyl flooring or want to use vinyl tiles, you might wonder how to match tile with your existing floor or decor. We searched for answers and came up with tips to help you.
- Match it with your decor or furniture
- Check the vinyl and its features
- Use a floor-matching app
- Find the precise match
- Get a tile sample
- Buy new vinyl flooring
We will cover these tips in greater detail in this post. We'll also address some FAQs and the pros and cons of vinyl flooring. Keep reading, as we've included some vinyl floor designs you can check out.
Matching Your Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl tiles are stunning, especially when harmoniously designed and done right. Matching your vinyl flooring can be quickly done if you follow these tips.
Match It With Your Decor Or Furniture
You can match your vinyl flooring with your decor or furniture by choosing a neutral or contrasting color. If your decor/furniture is austere, you can select a colorful hue and design. And if you already have colorful decor/furniture, pick a plain one.
Double Check The Vinyl And Its Features
There are many different types of vinyl with various thicknesses and grades. So ensure you know which type you have or will use when matching flooring.
Tiles with higher mils can withstand strain and damage. Twelve mils is a typical choice for home flooring, with 20 mils as a recommendation for busier households or homes with pets. Twenty-eight mils offer excellent resilience and reinforcement.
Knowing the precise thickness and length of your new or existing vinyl tiles is essential, as the size will significantly impact your project. Get accurate measurements of your vinyl tiles for a seamless appearance.
Use A Floor-Matching App
You can download an app to your smartphone that can help you match floor types and styles. Helpful designing apps include Planner 5D, AR Home Designer Deluxe, and Floorvana by Shaw Floors.
Find The Precise Match
If you already have vinyl flooring, it can be pretty unpleasant when some parts are perfect while others are different. So if you have pre-existing vinyl flooring, do what it takes to find an exact match to what you have. Just look for the same color and design.
Get A Tile Sample
If you need help finding the vinyl flooring you already have, get a sample or take a clear picture of it. You should also check for a trademark or code on the vinyl. Next, you could:
- Look online for its distributor or manufacturer.
- Search for it on websites or shopping apps.
- Check the classified ads or e-auction sites for discontinued floors.
- Take it to a flooring store or a manufacturer.
- Try looking in home improvement stores and vinyl flooring shops.
- You can ask a flooring store/manufacturer for customized or specially made flooring.
Buy New Vinyl Flooring
If you still can't find the precise match, then there's only one thing left to do: shop for new tiles and replace the flooring that you have. This move will result in perfectly matched vinyl flooring.
FAQs About Vinyl Flooring
Below are several frequently asked questions regarding vinyl flooring.
What Are The Various Types Of Vinyl Flooring?
There are several types of vinyl flooring. These are:
- Luxury vinyl tiles: This vinyl type can emulate almost any tile style owing to 3D imaging.
- Sheet vinyl: This type is straightforward to install and usually comes in six- to twelve-foot rolls.
- Vinyl planks: This type simulates the look of hardwood tiles and is very resilient.
- Vinyl tiles: This is perfect for people who want to personalize their flooring options for moderate to extreme makeovers.
How Do Luxury Vinyl Plank And Luxury Vinyl Tile Differ?
Luxury vinyl planks (LVP) and luxury vinyl tile (LVT) are both easy to install and are wider than standard sheet vinyl floors.
The difference lies in their appearance. LVP imitates the appearance of hardwood, and LVT simulates the impression of ceramic or stone tile.
What Thickness Of Vinyl Flooring Is Best?
The perfect vinyl thickness would be between 4mm to 6mm for the busiest parts of a house and 4mm for lower-traffic spaces such as bedrooms.
What Is The Most Popular Vinyl Flooring Color?
Vinyl comes in a wide array of colors. The most popular color is probably white. White is stylish and makes an area more extensive and radiant by mirroring sunlight.
What Is The Lifespan Of A Vinyl Floor?
Vinyl flooring is very resilient and can last ten to 20 years. This is especially true when the flooring is cared for properly.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Vinyl Flooring
Just like any other type of flooring, vinyl has its share of pros and cons.
- Inexpensive: Vinyl flooring is a perfect choice for homeowners looking for quality, affordable flooring. The price of vinyl usually is less than that of hardwood floors.
- Long-lasting: You can place luxury vinyl planks in rooms such as bathrooms without worrying about damage. LVP is adaptable and doesn't easily chip and scratch.
- Appearance: Vinyl tiles have unique and stunning designs due to advanced technology. Moreover, vinyl plank flooring is versatile. It can copy any floor look you want.
- Water-Resistant: Vinyl planks are entirely moisture and water-resistant. They are safe to use in rooms where moisture is present, such as the bathroom and kitchen.
- Prone To Fading: Continuous exposure to sunlight can cause your vinyl floor to fade and become discolored. You can prevent this by using curtains to limit exposure to the sun. You can also fix the problem by cleaning the floor with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
- Prone To Damage: Of course, vinyl flooring is not indestructible. You should avoid dropping sharp or pointed objects on your vinyl floor, as they can cause scrapes, holes, and cuts that are challenging to fix. Be extra careful when arranging or moving furniture on your vinyl floor because this can also cause damage.
- Tough To Extract: Vinyl flooring is tough to remove, especially if you used adhesive or glue when installing them. You will need a utility knife, scraper, and maybe even a hammer and chisel to separate the bond from the vinyl.
- Not Environment-Friendly: Another drawback of vinyl flooring is that it's non-biodegradable. PVC or plastic and other compounds comprise vinyl tiles. This means they can't dissolve or decay quickly or at all by natural means.
- Not So Safe: You can find volatile organic compounds in materials like paints and adhesives. Since most vinyl flooring needs adhesive during installation, it has a great chance of emitting VOCs, which can negatively impact your health. You may experience symptoms such as headache and nausea.
Five Types Of Vinyl Flooring
Here are some types of vinyl tiles you can check out.
Lucida Surfaces Luxury Vinyl Flooring Tiles
The Lucida Surfaces LVT has a wood-grain texture that looks and feels genuine. It's absorbent and can provide additional warmth.
- Does not scratch easily
- Simple installation
MSI McKenna Luxury Vinyl Rigid Core Planks
The MSI vinyl rigid core planks are ideal for indoor use, such as in homes and offices. The tiles contain CrystaLux, which protects them from scratches.
- Has the appearance and texture of real wood
SimpleFLOORS Click Locking LVT Waterproof Rigid Core
Experienced designers exclusively make each SimpleFLOORS tile color. The tiles are timeless and elegantly designed.
- High-grade performance
- Simple to install
Nexus Self Adhesive 12-Inch Vinyl Floor Tiles
The Nexus VFT is affordable and can be used in any room. You won't need grout or tools for installation.
- Peel-and-stick installation
MORCART Peel & Stick Floor Tiles Vinyl
The MORCART VFT has strong adhesion, but you can remove it quickly. It's also washable and water-resistant.
- It can be used on walls, floors, and other areas
Matching your vinyl flooring can be a challenge. But you can do it by matching it with your decor or furniture, finding the precise match, and using a floor-matching app. If all else fails, you can replace your existing floor with new vinyl tile.
If you want further information about vinyl flooring, you can check these posts: