Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
You may have heard a lot about epoxy flooring but may be wondering if it can only be used for indoor flooring. Yet there are those who want to try epoxy flooring outside their home. But will it work out? We have done the research to give you the best answer.
Yes, epoxy flooring can be used outside. It is perfect for outdoor spaces. Its components make it capable to withstand the outdoor elements. Other than for functional and aesthetic reasons, epoxy flooring makes a great option due to its properties:
- Durability and Strength
- Ease of Installation and Maintenance
While it is true that epoxy coating for your outdoors provides many amazing benefits, it has its share of drawbacks too. Stay on this page as we delve into its features as well as the advantages and disadvantages of using epoxy flooring.
What Makes Epoxy Ideal for Outdoor Spaces?
Epoxy flooring is perfect for many outdoor spaces for two reasons:
- It is a blend of outdoor-grade resin with UV-resistant additives to protect the concrete beneath the coating. Also, it is resistant to different chemicals and spills.
- It is made of non-toxic materials that could otherwise be harmful to humans.
- It is environment-friendly, 100% weatherproof, even if they are solid or water-based.
- It can be applied over existing concrete surfaces, thus saving on installation time and costs.
- Due to its varied colors and finishes, it can transform your outdoor spaces into lively spots for outdoor enjoyment.
- It also comes in many stone designs in varied textures perfect for walkways and porches to look elegant.
- It enhances your home’s curb appeal.
- Overall, it increases the value of your property.
Where Can You Apply Epoxy Flooring Outside?
Epoxy coating is flexible and versatile, making it look great when applied to a variety of outdoor spaces such as the following:
Front Yard and Driveway
First impressions are lasting. You want to create a welcoming atmosphere and make a distinctive path up to the front door. Give your walkway a stunning look with epoxy coating. It is safe to walk on it with an inviting appearance towards your front door.
Also, for a continuous and cohesive look, you would consider applying the epoxy coating up to the driveway. In its entirety, the epoxy coating enhances your home’s overall curb appeal.
Backyard and Patio
You need to add life to your rather drab patios by applying an epoxy coating. There is a wide assortment of finishes that will create lively surfaces to entertain guests or simply relax during quiet evenings.
And similarly, applying epoxy coating throughout your backyard is useful, in addition to its aesthetic value. Muddy and wet feet will not mess up if puddles leave an unsightly trail across the patio and to your home interiors.
It is quite common that many homes have converted their garages from just for cars and storage. They use it for work and even for entertaining guests. The epoxy coating will help create a user-friendly environment, devoid of just a “man cave” look. With lively colors and finish options, it makes your garage a highly useful extension of your living space.
Though epoxy coatings are originally perceived to be slippery, there are non-slip finishes that can be applied on granite and stone surfaces to manage slippery floors, especially at pool decks. And with its versatile nature, it also projects a glamorous and shiny look to the pool which makes it a big plus.
Interlocking tiles are also nice options for pool decks. These are weather-resistant and non-slip, yet they project a shiny look just like stone and granite surfaces. These are typically paved with porous stones.
Intense ultraviolet sunlight, water, outdoor debris, foul weather, and foot traffic can weaken the concrete surrounding the pool. Epoxy coating is the solution to this problem. Its durability feature protects your pool patio from UV exposure to avert fading and discoloration, cracks, and chips to the concrete floor.
Other Exterior Decorative Coatings
The versatility feature of epoxy flooring can be applied in different settings. It can be applied in various types of finishes, such as matte or polished, and also textures like stone. It is capable to transform your drab surfaces into professional-looking stone masonry. Stone and granite textures can be perfect for walls and columns.
In the photo below, a stone finish coating comes in different tints to blend with your surrounding existing decor. Tinting also enables the new coating to match the exact color of your original shade.
Indeed, epoxy floors allow homeowners sophisticated creativity for their outdoor landscape. Marble, stone, wood, and other natural materials are things of the past. You can create a unique effect with non-repeating textures by combining colors and decorative flecks of epoxy using specialized techniques.
Advantages of Epoxy Flooring
Epoxy has become the go-to option for concrete resurfacing among homeowners mainly because of its useful features:
Durability and Strength
With proper installation, the epoxy coating can last for many decades. It is your ultimate protectant on your outdoor surfaces. Once you have it in place, you would never think to get it replaced.
If you compare epoxy with other floor coatings, it is relatively affordable. While it is logical to think that you would not spend too much on outdoor flooring since it will be exposed to the outside elements anyway, epoxy proves to be an inexpensive option. You would only spare a budget of around $3 to $12 per foot for epoxy coating.
Easy to Install
You skip the laborious process of removing the concrete. You only need to apply the base, epoxy, and top coating. After which, it only takes a few hours to allow the epoxy to settle and dry your floor. After a few hours, you will get to see your shiny floor coating that will last for many years.
Fortunately, there are numerous brands of epoxy coatings that are sold as a kit, that is, installation aids and coating additives are included. Examples of installation aids are squeegee, carbon steel wire brush, and graduated mixing pails.
This waterproof feature makes it the most durable floor coating for your pool decks and other areas that get wet more often. The epoxy functions like a hard and sealed protective shell over the surface. You don’t need to worry about any material or chemicals that get spilled over. All you need is to mop up.
Disadvantages of Epoxy Flooring
- If not properly installed, you will find mold and water seepage underneath the epoxy coating. Much more, you will find the flooring slowly detaching from the concrete underneath.
- Epoxy flooring is also subject to constant wear and tear. They are also constantly exposed to environmental elements even the sturdiest of granite and stone finishes. The surface such as that of the garage and walkways can reshape to an ugly and stained look when the area is heavily used.
- Epoxy material costs much less, but you should consider hiring professional installers to ensure correct and proper installation. This can be a significant upfront investment since it will add up to the total project cost for your outdoor flooring.
- Epoxy flooring is prone to cracks and chips. Once a crack occurs, the seal gets broken in just a matter of time. If this occurs, a large area of your flooring needs to be replaced. You should take extra care by avoiding hard and blunt objects coming into close contact in order to avert cracks on the surface.
- Due to its waterproof features, there are epoxy variants that are highly slippery when wet. It could pose a slipping hazard in the areas you applied, particularly at pool decks and walkways where there is high foot traffic.
Epoxy coating contains useful elements that make it excellent for your outdoor spaces. It gives you a wide array of exterior finishes, color, design, and texture while offering durability and strength to last for many years. More so, it is relatively inexpensive and easy to install and maintain.
Epoxy flooring is versatile and flexible to suit many applications that cover your pool deck and patio, front door and driveway, backyards, garage, and walkways.
Be sure to pick the most suitable epoxy that suits your needs and preferences for your outdoors. With professional assistance, you will never think of any other alternative flooring solution to enhance your outdoor space!
If you would love to know more about epoxy coating, check out these posts for related topics: