House foundations need to be refurbished from time to time. A home should be pleasant on the inside and the outside. Repainting the foundation is one of the things that will make your home look and feel new again. We asked experts for the 10 best house foundation paints and sealants, and here are the suggestions they gave us.
Some of these paints work on the interior, exterior, or on both sides of the foundation. The best paints and sealers for your house foundation available are:
- Rust-Oleum Decorative Concrete Coating
- Drylok Latex Base Concrete Paint
- Microblend Exterior Paint And Primer
- Kilz Interior/Exterior Self-Priming Masonry Stucco, and Brick Flat Paint
- Kilz Interior/Exterior Basement and Masonry Waterproofing Paint
- Rust Bullet Duragrade Clear
- Liquid Rubber Concrete Foundation And Basement Sealant
- Drylok Hydraulic Cement
- Ames Liquid Rubber Waterproofer
- Vinyl Renu 5 Gallon-Siding Restoration Kit
When searching for house foundation paint, you'll have to consider some things. You should use the best paints although they don't have to be expensive to have the necessary qualities. Continue perusing to see how you should choose house foundation paints for your home.
How To Choose Paints For A House Foundation
When searching for paints, focus on these points:
- Elongation qualities
House foundation paints can be very costly or affordable. So, go for what doesn't burn a hole in your pocket. Bear in mind that cheaper house foundations paints can be as efficient as expensive ones. So as not to spend a lot on paints and primers, go for self-priming paints.
Painting a house foundation shouldn't be a temporary job. Purchase paints that will last longer and take care of your house foundation all seasons. The foundation is the backbone of the house. So, ensure that you take care of the foundation to serve for as long as possible.
Pick and choose paints that elongate with time. Ask the experts about the types of paints that will continue to elongate and cover the pores in the foundation while waterproofing it. Paints should also be mold resistant. The elongation should be 900% to 1100% long after application.
How Do You Paint The Exterior Foundation
Painting a house foundation usually takes a while. Therefore, ensure that you allocate enough time for this kind of project. Before you apply any paint on any surface, you'll need to prepare it.
Preparation of any type of surface before painting is a must. Homeowners can follow these easy steps when painting the exterior of their house foundation.
- Remove any old paint (if any) which by now is chipping. Use a wire brush and a power washer to remove any chipped paint. Apply a lot of elbow grease.
- Clean the surface of any loose concrete, dirt or mud, and grease. On concrete surfaces, dirt gets trapped due to its high porosity. To ensure that the surface is thoroughly clean, you could use TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). TSP cleans the surface thoroughly and you can purchase it in hardware stores. Use safety goggles and gloves to shield your eyes and hands from the chemical.
- Make any necessary repairs on the surface to be painted. Seal any small cracks on concrete foundations using the concrete patch. If you find any large cracks in your foundation, invite a professional to treat them.
- Seal and prime the house foundation. Concrete absorbs a lot of moisture and transports it. Therefore seal the concrete surface to avoid water damage, leaks, or mold growth on the house foundation. Allow the sealer to cure for at least seven days before applying any primer. When you have applied the primer to seal any pores left, give it a minimum of eight hours to completely dry.
- Finally, you can now apply the paint to your foundation. Use a masonry brush or a roller to paint your foundation. Apply the paint in thin coats. Ensure that you allow every coat of paint to completely dry before applying the next. A day is enough for each coat to dry. Here's a video to elaborate on the process.
10 Best Foundation Paints And Sealers
House foundations need to be taken care of and protected from the elements. The best way to do this is to use sealers, primers, and paints. Here are some paints and sealers that give a shiny glossy look to your foundation. The overall aesthetics of the house from the outside will depend on a well-painted foundation.
1. Rust-Oleum Decorative Concrete Coating
The Rust-Oleum is a tough but affordable concrete paint. This paint is available in four different colors. Rust-Oleum allows you to pick the desired color of paint for your exterior foundation walls.
2. Drylok-28613 28613 Extreme Latex Masonry Waterproofer
The Drylok paint stops water, unlike other ordinary paints. It will penetrate the pores in the house foundation and bond with them to create a barrier. It can stop water at very high pressure up to 15 pounds of hydrostatic pressure (PSI).
Check out Drylok Extreme Waterproofer on Amazon.
3. Microblend Exterior Paint And Primer
The Microblend is a unique and high-quality paint and primer combination. It has a low VOC and almost no odor. The paint blocks and keeps the surface of your house foundation smooth, clean and shiny.
The luxurious finish stays on long after it has been applied. With 40 different shades and colors available, you'll find something suitable for your home.
Check out these Microblend Paints on Amazon.
4. Kilz Interior/Exterior Self-Priming Masonry Stucco, and Brick Flat Paint
This fantastic paint hides imperfections and makes your house water-resistant. The highly adhesive Kilz Paint works on most surfaces. It is also self-priming, has alkali resistance to a ph of 12, and is easy to apply.
When applied to a clean and grease-free surface, it'll serve you for a long while. Shake it well before use.
Have a look at the Kilz Masonry Paint on Amazon.
5. Kilz Interior/Exterior Basement and Masonry Waterproofing Paint
This multipurpose wall paint is highly waterproof and seals porous concrete. The use of nanotechnology helps the paint to be waterproof, durable, and long-lasting finish. The paint needs a minimum of two coats for optimal results on retaining walls made of cinder blocks, wood, or concrete.
Try the Kilz Waterproofer Paint available on Amazon.
6. Rust Bullet Duragrade Clear
The Rust Bullet Duragrade offers a clear protective coating on concrete, wood, or metal surfaces. It is environmentally friendly and protects from UV rays. The Rust Bullet requires no primer, basecoat, or topcoat and offers surface protection from scratches, chipping, or chemical abrasion. To apply, use a brush, roller, or paint sprayer.
Check out the Rust Bullet Duragrade Clear on Amazon.
7. Liquid Rubber Concrete Foundation and Basement Sealant
The Liquid Rubber Sealant helps protect your foundation from mold and mildew. It is eco-friendly and safe for your family, pets, and plants. Apply an even thick coat all over the surface.
Let it cure, but don't apply when the weather is wet. The Liquid Rubber Sealant helps keep any water from penetrating your foundation or walls because it has an elongation of 900%.
Check out this product on Amazon.
8. Drylok Hydraulic Cement
While looking for paint, don't forget to seal any cracks or leaks with good-quality cement. Drylok Hydraulic Cement is in powder form and mixes with water to give you a perfect sealant. It can withstand 3,050 lbs of hydrostatic pressure.
Have a look at the Drylock Cement on Amazon.
9. AMES BMX1RG Blue Liquid Rubber Waterproofer
The AMES liquid rubber is used to waterproof foundations and basements. It flows into crevices and cracks to seal leaks. It helps strengthen the wall construction in any building. This liquid rubber is UV sensitive and needs a topcoat when used outdoors.
Check out the AMES liquid rubber on Amazon.
10. Vinyl Renu 5 Gallon-Siding Restoration Kit
The Vinyl Restoration kit will give your house a fresh look with a single coat.
Click here to see Renu Siding Restoration kit on Amazon.
What Color Should I Paint The Foundation Of My House
The foundation of your house will determine whether you paint it or not. For example, brick or stone foundations needn't be painted. Concrete and wooden foundations can be painted to create a harmonious look of the house.
Choose colors that will contract drastically or similar color tones as the house for your foundation. A foundation color that contrasts with the house makes a bold statement. A dark grey house should have a foundation painted in off-white or light grey.
Alternatively, a cream-colored house can have a foundation the same color or slightly darker. Ideally, consider your taste, the house color, surroundings, and local residential regulations (if any). Experiment with different colors using an online application to get what works for your foundation.
Can You Paint Over Foundation Coating
Yes, you can. Ensure that you pick a paint color that can blend in with the foundation coating.
There are greyish white and dark foundation coatings available in the market. Avoid using a dark foundation coating when using light foundation paint.
With the wide range of paints, primers, and sealants available in hardware stores, you will find suitable paints for your house foundation.
Choose and pick the right color for your foundation. Follow the easy steps in the post, and in no time you'll have a beautiful foundation.
Here are some interesting posts:
How To Keep Water Away From House Foundations
Can Moles Ruin My Foundation [Including 5 Methods To Rid & Deter Moles]